Ayumi Hamasaki

« Older   Newer »
Kirisame
view post Posted on 2/5/2010, 16:32

She's the representative by default of the Japanese pop, so I thought she deserved her own thread.

Ayumi Hamasaki (浜崎 あゆみ, Hamasaki Ayumi?, also 浜崎歩) (born October 2, 1978) is a Japanese singer-songwriter and former actress from Fukuoka. Hamasaki's popularity extends across Asia; music and fashion trends she has started have spread to countries such as China, Singapore, and Taiwan.

* Since her 1998 debut with the single "Poker Face", Hamasaki has sold over 50 million records in Japan, ranking her among the best-selling singers in the country.

* As a female singer, Hamasaki holds several domestic records for her singles, such as the most number-one hits, the highest sales, and the most million-sellers.

* From 1999 to 2009, Hamasaki had at least one single each year top the charts.

* Hamasaki is the first female singer to have eight studio albums since her debut to top the Oricon and the first artist to have a number-one album for 11 consecutive years since her debut.

*In January 8, 2008 , Hamasaki revealed that an inoperable condition, possibly tinnitus or Ménière's disease, had caused complete deafness in her left ear She disclosed that she had been diagnosed with the condition in 2006 and that the problem dated back to 2000.Despite this, Hamasaki stated that she wished to continue singing, and that she would "not give up" on her fans and that "as a professional", she wanted to "deliver the best performance for everyone".

---

Personally, she is one of my favorite artists and also, one of the first that introduced me to Asian music. She seems like a positive person and her fashion sense is great too. What do you think about Ayu?

0 replies since 2/5/2010, 16:32   22 views